10. Slieve Donard. The highest mountain in N. Ireland. A 3,000 ft climb in the unpopulated reserve in Country Down with mountain mists passing by and the expectation of a leprechaun around every turn. I hiked this alone while on business in the country.
9. Monteith’s Brewery, Greymouth, New Zealand.
8. Labrador City, Labrador Canada. An iron mine larger than some states. Hydroelectric dams large enough to impress Edison. Truly a place beyond all normal scale.
7. Big Bend National Park, Texas
6. The 100 Mile Wilderness and Mt. Katahdin, Maine
5. Watching my high school’s state football championship victory in the Silverdome in 1997.
4. Blanca Peak, Colorado
3. The Pistons vs. the Bulls in Game 1 of the 1990 NBA Playoffs Conference Finals. I still remember the Pistons won 86-77. Michael Jordan and Joe Dumars were the high-scorers. My dad, brother Mike, and I sat some rows up behind the Bulls bench.
2. Franconia Ridge, NH.
1. Lake Kluane, Yukon Territory.